How to apply USA Study Visa. – enroltime

USA Study Visa:

The United States continues to be the number one pick for students looking to study abroad. If you are one of the fortunate individuals to be accepted into the desired university, submitting a Student Visa application is the next significant step to achieving your goal of studying in the United States. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recorded 1,99,812 Indian students studying in the USA in 2022. In comparison to 2021, the population of Indian students in the US saw a rise of more than nineteen percent in the year 2022.

A common concern among international students is how difficult it is to get a study visa in the US, and while the paperwork and application process can be challenging, Indian students can typically gain a student visa with success if they perform well in their interviews. The United States offers three distinct student visa categories: one for college-level studies, a second for exchange programs and the third for vocational training, which comprise the F, J and M student visas, respectively. The period allocated for the assessment of applications for these student visas can vary.

This guide provides a brief overview of the different types of visas available to international students and offers a comprehensive approach for applying for an F1 Student Visa, which is intended for those pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the United States.
Types of Student Visas Available in the USA
The United States offers three types of student visas:

F1 Student Visa

Applicants who are looking to enroll in a program that mandates more than eighteen hours of study in a given week need an F1 visa in the United States. This program includes undergraduate, masters and business degree courses offered in the United States. Spouse or Children travelling with an F-1 visa holder will require an F-2 visa. It should be noted that spouses may not work, yet they may accompany another and/or file for their own visa to the United States to work or study. You may also want to read.

J1 Exchange Visitor Visa

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa is designed for those engaging in an exchange program, such as students and visiting scholars. To illustrate, Fulbright scholars and many students from Indian universities, taking part in short-term study abroad plans, will visit the U.S. with a J-1 visa. An individual typically applies for a J1 visa when they intend to participate in an exchange program in the United States, thus earning the title Exchange Visitor Visa. These could include a 10-month vocational training program or a research fellowship, among other things. Each applicant will be informed of their status by the institution they applied to, regardless of the result. Spouses or children accompanying J-1 Visa recipients will travel on a J-2 Visa. Please note that spouses can work

M-1 Vocational / Non-Academic Student Visa

The M1 visa is a type of student visa specifically for those wishing to attend a vocational or technical school. Even though the process for applying for both the F1 visa and M-1 visa is similar, the main distinction is that when entering the country, the M-1 visa has a time-stamp making it such that students cannot remain in the country after their visit ends. Besides researching study abroad, it is important to look into the information on student visas.

Working on Student Visa in USA

During the initial year of study, students are not allowed to accept any form of employment outside of the campus. Due to regulations and restrictions, they are only permitted to work no more than twenty hours per week. During holidays and school breaks, employees may work up to a maximum of 40 hours each week. The student has the opportunity to work for a commercial firm that provides services to the college, for example a bookstore or cafeteria. Students can take a look at the Top 10 Part-Time Jobs that are available in the United States.

Cost of Student Visa in the USA

There are two separate fees that need to be paid in order to obtain an F1 student visa for the USA. Currently, the SEVIS fee is set at a rate of $350, which translates to approximately INR 28,256 for US student visa fees in Indian rupees. The current Visa Application Fee (MRV Fee) is $160, which is equivalent to the Indian Rupee amount of 13,003.

Documents Required for F1 Student Visa Application

USA Study Visa Process: In comparison, a student visa needs a lot more paperwork than a tourist visa would require. You must provide the essential documents and evidence of your educational and fiscal situation. Make sure to review this checklist prior to the visa interview at the consulate.

A valid passport with a validity date of at least six months beyond your period of stay.

A printed copy of DS-160, the online application form

SEVIS Fee Receipt

Interview appointment letter (original and copy)

Form I-20 sent by the college (where you are going to study)

Visa fees payment confirmation receipt

Bank statement for at least three years showing that you have enough assets to pay for the first year (could be of parent or guardian)

Pay/salary slips

Original mark sheets/provisional certificates

Score sheet of exams like TOEFL or IELTS as ELP proofs along with either ACT or SAT for UG admissions or GMAT or GRE for PG admissions.

Financial Documents are required to show financial strength to support education in the USA.

For the USA, students need to show proof of the number of funds they need to cover the first year’s total expenses. It includes tuition fees, living expenses, and other expenses (like books). Apart from this, students also need to show proof of the readily available funds for the rest of the tenure of their education.

Evidence of Financial Resources required for F1 Visa
Tax returns for the past 3 years (Form 16)
Bank statements/passbook for the past 3 years
Original pay/salary slips and letters of employment
Statement from certified CA
Scholarship letter (If the applicant has received it)
The loan approval letter by the bank or the concerned authority

How to Apply for US Student Visa (F1 Visa)?

There are several steps to apply for a USA Study Visa:

Your college will provide Form I-20, which is the first step in the visa application process. Even though the SEVIS fee can be paid at any stage of the application, it is advised to cover the SEVIS I-901 fee before the US visa application starts. After paying the SEVIS fee and getting a receipt, you can apply for a DS-160 visa form. It is an online application form.
Print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
Pay the visa fee through NEFT or at authorized AXIS bank/Citi bank locations.
Schedule a Biometric appointment and Interview appointment.
For the Biometric appointment, you will be required to appear in person to get your photograph clicked for the visa and get your fingerprints scanned.
At the Personal interview, the interviewer will ask you questions about your choice, of course, college, finances, and intent of coming back. If s/he is convinced, they will keep your passport with them to get the visa stamped. Here is a guide to help you prepare for your F1 Visa Interview.
Remember, F1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days before the starting date of your course of study. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States on F1 status earlier than 30 days before your start date.


Partners and minors below the age of 21 who would like to stay in the US with the applicant for the full duration of their stay must obtain F2 or M2 visas. An individual on F2 status is not allowed to partake in a full program of study, however they are permitted to attend classes that are recreational or vocational in nature such as developing a hobby or interest, including cooking or tennis. Children belonging to F2 status may attend elementary, middle, or high school as full-time students. It is not possible for them to pursue a full-time course of study at a college or university. The family members of students are not allowed to work while they are in the F2 Visa period.

Additional Information

F1 visa holders are able to apply for up to 12 months of OPT (optional practical training) when they have finished their studies. That implies that you have the opportunity to work for a year after completing your studies. This is a permission to receive temporary employment, providing students with the chance to gain practical knowledge in the area of their studies. If you plan to continue working in the United States, you must apply for a work visa afterwards. You can stay in the United States up to sixty days following the completion of your course, even if you do not possess a job offer or have not applied for Optional Practical Training.

Scholarships for studying in the USA

Outstanding students may be able to take advantage of the various scholarships available at the institute/university. A broad range of scholarships exist for study in the United States. Scholarships are generally considered as one of the top methods to finance your education. International students are concerned about how to manage their money when planning to study abroad. Scholarships are available to students from multiple universities/institutes. It may depend on either need or on merit. Professionals recommend that students investigate the various types of scholarships available to them.

GoAbroad 2022©, All rights reserved.